monday, october 23, 2006
This is what happens when you combine…oh, you’ll see:
Say it out loud. Also see the Hegelian owls for uh, context.
P.S. YTMND, but I think mine is better.
monday, october 16, 2006
Movable type makes you think about:
- The tiny spaces between words and letters
- Whether you have enough “F”s to finish your idea
- How “A” and “a” are completely separate letterforms
- How slow the previous process must have been to make this such an improvement
- How 10em, .2em, and 1em are things you can hold in your hands (and how .3em, 200em, and 0em are nonsense)
- How nice it would be to work with a monospaced font
- Uncommon punctuation as a limited resource to be gathered and treasured
- The negative space on the right end of a line of type
- The drop-down font menu as an analog of labeled font drawers
- How separating content from presentation is impossible in some cases
The little dingbats on the left represent an Apple/command key on my PowerBook keyboard…Gutenberg-style. My galley is full of Helvetica 14 right now, with some Helvetica 10 for effect (caps lock, shift, etc.) and various pieces of punctuation stolen from the Ornaments/Misc. drawers. I know the PowerBook keyboard isn’t in Helvetica, but I wanted to use it anyway. Yes, I’m enjoying this stuff.
It turns out part of my family set newspaper type for generations, which makes me happy: journalism and this laborious print design are antecedents of the things I’m interested in.
sunday, october 08, 2006
Jeweled Platypus is sort of back. It broke after I changed hosting, and things have resisted my efforts to fix them. Hi.
My recent posts to the del.icio.us blog: hello! I am support, revision to settings, and new help pages. If you look at the del.icio.us party pictures from a few days ago, you might see me (I’m the girl in a tan shirt).
Classes I’m taking this quarter: Beginning Letterpress Printing, Graphic Novels, Introduction to Linguistics, and an independent study project with Max that may be revealed in time.
I didn’t really miss blogging here.